I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Furadantoin? Is Furadantoin safe for nursing mother and child? Does Furadantoin extracts into breast milk? Does Furadantoin has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Furadantoin influence milk supply or can Furadantoin decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Furadantoin is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Furadantoin is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Furadantoin does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Furadantoin safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Excretion into breast milk is clinically non-significant with no side-effects observed among breastfed infants from treated mothers except rare cases of diarrhea. Do not use while the infant is younger of two weeks of age or suffers of G-6-P dehydrogenase deficiency to avoid likelihood of hemolysis. Be aware of false negative results that may be obtained from febrile infants with bacterial cultures when the mother is on antibiotics. Also, the possibility of developing diarrhea due to bacterial flora imbalance.
Administration of Furadantoin directly to infants under 1 month of age and in those with glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency is contraindicated because of potential hemolysis in these infants. However, the time of greatest risk for hemolysis in fullterm newborns without G6PD deficiency might be as short as 8 days after birth. Furadantoin doses in milk are low and it can be used while breastfeeding older infants, but alternate drugs are preferred in mothers of infants under 8 days of age, or infants with G6PD deficiency of any age. Observe infants for possible diarrhea.
In a prospective follow-up study, 6 nursing mothers reported taking Furadantoin (dosage and dosage form not specified). Two mothers reported diarrhea in their infants. No rashes or candidiasis were reported among the exposed infants.
In a prospective follow-up study, 1 of 6 nursing mothers who took Furadantoin (dosage unspecified) reported a decrease in milk supply. It is not known if there was a causal relationship.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.