I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Etanercept? Is Etanercept safe for nursing mother and child? Does Etanercept extracts into breast milk? Does Etanercept has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Etanercept influence milk supply or can Etanercept decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Etanercept is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Etanercept is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Etanercept does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Etanercept safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Its higher molecular weight makes it secretion into breast milk unlikely. It is not absorbed by gastrointestinal tract due to its protein structure.
Etanercept is minimally excreted into breastmilk and poorly absorbed by the infant, which would be expected because of its high molecular weight of approximately 150,000. However, long-term follow-up data on infants breastfed during maternal etanercept use are not available. The risk of adverse effects in older infants is not known, but thought to be unlikely. Most experts feel that the drug is a low risk to the nursing infant and can be given during breastfeeding.
A woman with rheumatoid arthritis began etanercept 25 mg subcutaneously twice a week at 3 months postpartum and later switched to a dose of 50 mg subcutaneously once a week. Her infant was breastfed (extent not stated) until 6 months of age. The infant was reportedly healthy at 3 years of age. A case-control study of women with chronic arthritic conditions found 5 women who received etanercept during pregnancy and lactation (extent not stated). No differences were observed in the 5 infants' growth parameters, developmental milestones, vaccinations and diseases in the first year of life compared to those not exposed to the drugs with lactation.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.