I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Etodolac? Is Etodolac safe for nursing mother and child? Does Etodolac extracts into breast milk? Does Etodolac has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Etodolac influence milk supply or can Etodolac decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Etodolac is 3 out of 8 which is considered Low Risk as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 3 indicates that usage of Etodolac may cause some minor side effects in breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research indicates that Etodolac may cause moderate to no side effects in lactating mother.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Etodolac low risk in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- While using Etodolac We suggest monitoring child for possible reactions. It is also important to understand that side effects vary largely based on age of breastfed child and time of medication in addition to dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Since the last update we have not found published data on its excretion in breast milk. Its high percentage of plasma protein binding make it very unlikely that significant amounts will pass into breast milk. Until there is more published data on this drug in relation to breastfeeding, safer known alternatives may be preferable, especially during the neonatal period and in case of prematurity.
Because no information is available on the use of etodolac during breastfeeding, an alternate drug may be preferred, especially while nursing a newborn or preterm infant.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.