I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Malathion? Is Malathion safe for nursing mother and child? Does Malathion extracts into breast milk? Does Malathion has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Malathion influence milk supply or can Malathion decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Malathion is 3 out of 8 which is considered Low Risk as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 3 indicates that usage of Malathion may cause some minor side effects in breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research indicates that Malathion may cause moderate to no side effects in lactating mother.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Malathion low risk in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- While using Malathion We suggest monitoring child for possible reactions. It is also important to understand that side effects vary largely based on age of breastfed child and time of medication in addition to dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Significantly less malathion penetrated from Ovide after 0.5 h versus the suggested 8 h application, without decreasing the product’s efficacy. Avoid applying it on the breast or nipple. Otherwise, cleanse it thoroughly before nursing.
Malathion appears to be poorly absorbed after topical application, so it is not likely to reach the breastmilk in large amounts. However, breastmilk excretion of malathion has not been studied after application of the 0.5% lotion. Until more data become available, an alternate agent is preferred.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.