I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Alosetron? Is Alosetron safe for nursing mother and child? Does Alosetron extracts into breast milk? Does Alosetron has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Alosetron influence milk supply or can Alosetron decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Alosetron is 3 out of 8 which is considered Low Risk as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 3 indicates that usage of Alosetron may cause some minor side effects in breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research indicates that Alosetron may cause moderate to no side effects in lactating mother.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Alosetron low risk in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- While using Alosetron We suggest monitoring child for possible reactions. It is also important to understand that side effects vary largely based on age of breastfed child and time of medication in addition to dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Cases of severe intestinal side effects have been reported. On latest update no published data about breastfeeding were found. Because a rapid metabolic rate and poor oral absorption - when taken along with food - this drug is probably safe while breastfeeding. Safety would increase if a 3-hour period is observed before resuming breastfeeding.
No information is available on the use of alosetron during breastfeeding. Because of relatively high protein binding and only moderate bioavailability, exposure of the breastfed infant is likely to be low. If alosetron is required by the mother, it is not a reason to discontinue breastfeeding. However, until more data are available alosetron should only be used with careful infant monitoring during breastfeeding.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.