I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Barberry? Is Barberry safe for nursing mother and child? Does Barberry extracts into breast milk? Does Barberry has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Barberry influence milk supply or can Barberry decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Barberry is 7 out of 8 which is considered Dangerous as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 7 indicates that usage of Barberry may cause toxic or severe side effects in breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research indicates that Barberry may cause moderate to high side effects or may affect milk supply in lactating mother.
- Our suggestion is to use safer alternate options rather than using Barberry .
- Usage of Barberry is in contradiction to breastfeeding hence if it is must to use Barberry and there is no better alternative available then breastfeeding shall be stopped permanently or temporarily.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Roots and bark are used. It contains Berberine that may be a cause of gastritis, nephritis, phototoxicity and severe jaundice by displacement of albumin -linked bilirubin: higher risk of kernicterus to newborns, which is greater in cases of 6-Glucose-PD deficiency. It is popularly widely used, however, its effectiveness has not been shown. Use not approved by the Commission E of German Ministry of Health. It should be avoided.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.