I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Boldo? Is Boldo safe for nursing mother and child? Does Boldo extracts into breast milk? Does Boldo has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Boldo influence milk supply or can Boldo decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Boldo is 5 out of 8 which is considered Unsafe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 5 indicates that usage of Boldo may cause serious side effects in breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research indicates that Boldo may cause moderate to high side effects or may affect milk supply in lactating mother.
- Our suggestion is to use safer alternate options rather than using Boldo .
- It is recommended to evaluate the advantage of not breastfeeding while using Boldo Vs not using Boldo And continue breastfeeding.
- While using Boldo Its must to monitor child for possible reactions. It is also important to understand that side effects vary largely based on age of breastfed child and time of medication in addition to dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Leaves and bark are used.It contains alkaloids (boldine), essential oil (ascaridol), coumarins and tannins.Properties attributed are: digestive, cholagogue, diuretic.Indications Commission E of the German Ministry of Health: dyspepsia. The essential oil is toxic and very irritating because the content of ascaridol. There have appeared states of hallucination, behavioral disturbances and liver toxicity after consumption of boldo tea. At last update there were not found published data on excretion in breast milk. Given its toxicity it seems prudent not to consume while breastfeeding or do so only occasionally.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.