I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Horse Chestnut? Is Horse Chestnut safe for nursing mother and child? Does Horse Chestnut extracts into breast milk? Does Horse Chestnut has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Horse Chestnut influence milk supply or can Horse Chestnut decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Horse Chestnut is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Horse Chestnut is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Horse Chestnut does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Horse Chestnut safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
The seeds, bark and leaves are used. It contains Aescin and esculin (see specific info), with a vasoprotector effect and devoid of toxicity at normal doses. At latest update no published data on excretion into breast milk was found. Side effects are rare and mild.The Commission E of German Ministry of Health does not contraindicate the use of seed extract during infancy. Given its lack of toxicity at normal doses, a moderate consumption during lactation would pose a very low risk. For topical preparations, do not apply it on the chest or thoroughly clean it up before breastfeeding. See below the information of these related products:
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.