I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Black-Cohosh? Is Black-Cohosh safe for nursing mother and child? Does Black-Cohosh extracts into breast milk? Does Black-Cohosh has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Black-Cohosh influence milk supply or can Black-Cohosh decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Black-Cohosh is 5 out of 8 which is considered Unsafe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 5 indicates that usage of Black-Cohosh may cause serious side effects in breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research indicates that Black-Cohosh may cause moderate to high side effects or may affect milk supply in lactating mother.
- Our suggestion is to use safer alternate options rather than using Black-Cohosh .
- It is recommended to evaluate the advantage of not breastfeeding while using Black-Cohosh Vs not using Black-Cohosh And continue breastfeeding.
- While using Black-Cohosh Its must to monitor child for possible reactions. It is also important to understand that side effects vary largely based on age of breastfed child and time of medication in addition to dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Rizomes and roots are used. It contains saponids, phytoestrogens, and other substances. Attributed effect: estrogenic stimulation. Indications according to Commission E of German Ministry of Health: pre-menstrual dysmenorrhea, menopause. Maximal daily dose: 40 mg of drug equivalent. Do not use it for longer than 6 months Estrogen-agonist may decrease breast milk production and alter its composition.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.