I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Horsetail? Is Horsetail safe for nursing mother and child? Does Horsetail extracts into breast milk? Does Horsetail has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Horsetail influence milk supply or can Horsetail decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Horsetail is 5 out of 8 which is considered Unsafe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 5 indicates that usage of Horsetail may cause serious side effects in breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research indicates that Horsetail may cause moderate to high side effects or may affect milk supply in lactating mother.
- Our suggestion is to use safer alternate options rather than using Horsetail .
- It is recommended to evaluate the advantage of not breastfeeding while using Horsetail Vs not using Horsetail And continue breastfeeding.
- While using Horsetail Its must to monitor child for possible reactions. It is also important to understand that side effects vary largely based on age of breastfed child and time of medication in addition to dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
On latest update no relevant published data on breastfeeding were found. Side effects and toxicity have not been tested, therefore its use would be preferably avoided or as much use it infrequently. Topical use is compatible with breastfeeding whenever it not used on the nipple. Stems of horsetail are used. It contains mineral salts (Sílicium, Potassium), flavonoids and steroids. Unproven effects are: diuretic, wound healing for burning injuries. Prolonged or abusive use may produce gastritis, vomiting, sea-sickness or stupor. May be confused with Equisetum palustre which is toxic due to that it contains Thiaminase and be cause of severe Vitamin B1 deficiency. A case possibly related to the appearance of Autism after the prolonged use in pregnancy has been described.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.