I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Fucus? Is Fucus safe for nursing mother and child? Does Fucus extracts into breast milk? Does Fucus has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Fucus influence milk supply or can Fucus decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Fucus is 5 out of 8 which is considered Unsafe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 5 indicates that usage of Fucus may cause serious side effects in breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research indicates that Fucus may cause moderate to high side effects or may affect milk supply in lactating mother.
- Our suggestion is to use safer alternate options rather than using Fucus .
- It is recommended to evaluate the advantage of not breastfeeding while using Fucus Vs not using Fucus And continue breastfeeding.
- While using Fucus Its must to monitor child for possible reactions. It is also important to understand that side effects vary largely based on age of breastfed child and time of medication in addition to dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Seaweed. The stem of the plant is used.It contains large amounts of mucilage and minerals, including iodine which appears in variable amounts that can be significant, in such a way that it may be a cause a hyperthyroidism-like disease (anxiety, insomnia, tachycardia, palpitations).It may also contain heavy metals, being a species of seaweed with a high ability of contamination by toxic products. The commission E of the German Health Ministry has not approved any clinical indication, discouraging its use. At latest update no published data on excretion into breast milk were found. However, there is information from other algae whose consumption is known to increase iodine levels in the plasma and breast milk.There have been reports of hypothyroidism in infants whose mothers have included in their diet important quantities of seaweed. There is no evidence of effectiveness on increasing milk production. The most effective method to increase milk production should be done by strengthening maternal self-confidence, evaluate and correct problems along with an effective support to breastfeeding mothers.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.