I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Kava Kava? Is Kava Kava safe for nursing mother and child? Does Kava Kava extracts into breast milk? Does Kava Kava has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Kava Kava influence milk supply or can Kava Kava decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Kava Kava is 7 out of 8 which is considered Dangerous as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 7 indicates that usage of Kava Kava may cause toxic or severe side effects in breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research indicates that Kava Kava may cause moderate to high side effects or may affect milk supply in lactating mother.
- Our suggestion is to use safer alternate options rather than using Kava Kava .
- Usage of Kava Kava is in contradiction to breastfeeding hence if it is must to use Kava Kava and there is no better alternative available then breastfeeding shall be stopped permanently or temporarily.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Rhizomes are used.It contains kavapirone and resin.Unproved effects: hypnotic, spasmolytic, sedative.Indication after Commission E of German Ministry of Health: insomnia, anxiety.Very dangerous if mixed with alcohol. The Spanish Agency for Drugs has withdrawn all kava-kava containing products from the market after several cases of overwhelming hepatic failure have occurred.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.