I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Maca? Is Maca safe for nursing mother and child? Does Maca extracts into breast milk? Does Maca has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Maca influence milk supply or can Maca decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Maca is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Maca is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Maca does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Maca safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
A plant which is cultivated in the Andes mountain (Peru and Bolivia) that has a root with a high content in proteins and other nutrients (similar nutritional value to cereals) and secularly used as a source of food by andean population. Popularly, enhancing of fertility as been attributed to it, but rigorous scientific proof is lacking. Because it is a widely used tubercle as a food by the andean population with no known toxic effects, its consumption is regarded as compatible with breastfeeding.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.