I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Pennyroyal? Is Pennyroyal safe for nursing mother and child? Does Pennyroyal extracts into breast milk? Does Pennyroyal has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Pennyroyal influence milk supply or can Pennyroyal decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Pennyroyal is 5 out of 8 which is considered Unsafe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 5 indicates that usage of Pennyroyal may cause serious side effects in breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research indicates that Pennyroyal may cause moderate to high side effects or may affect milk supply in lactating mother.
- Our suggestion is to use safer alternate options rather than using Pennyroyal .
- It is recommended to evaluate the advantage of not breastfeeding while using Pennyroyal Vs not using Pennyroyal And continue breastfeeding.
- While using Pennyroyal Its must to monitor child for possible reactions. It is also important to understand that side effects vary largely based on age of breastfed child and time of medication in addition to dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
On last update no relevant published data on breastfeeding were found. Because of toxicity mostly for the liver, and, lack of proven beneficial pharmacologic effects, it would be wise to avoid usage while breastfeeding. Otherwise, consumption of infusion should be occasional but never use essential oil. Aerial summits of plant are used. Contains essential oils (Pulegone), Flavonoids and Tannins. Pulegone induces abortion has toxicity against the liver, kidney and neurological system. It is found very concentrated in essential oil but much lesser in infusions. However, lethal or severe cases in infants who had ingested small portions of infusion have been reported. Unproven properties are: Anti-spasmodic, Digestive, Hypnotic. Indications from the Commission E of the German Ministry of Health: none
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.