I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Rooibos? Is Rooibos safe for nursing mother and child? Does Rooibos extracts into breast milk? Does Rooibos has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Rooibos influence milk supply or can Rooibos decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Rooibos is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Rooibos is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Rooibos does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Rooibos safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Shrub which is native from South Africa that is used as a tea since 1930. Constituents are: flavonoids, antioxidants like aspalathin, quercetin, rutin, nothofagin, luteolin, orientin among others, phenol acids, low tannin. None has shown to have a caffeine-like effect. Absorption through the gut and skin is poor. Anti-oxidant property has not been found to be higher in the milk from mothers who have taken rooibos or whatever herb. Effectiveness on traditional indications like antispasmodic or sedative effect has not been shown. According to the Commission E of the German Ministry of Health it is an useless medication. Commonly used in South Africa. Despite of a lack of scientific evidence, it seems to be harmless with a not abusive consumption. At latest update, relevant information on excretion into breast milk was not found. Moderate and occasional use is recommended while breastfeeding.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.