I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Herbal Teas? Is Herbal Teas safe for nursing mother and child? Does Herbal Teas extracts into breast milk? Does Herbal Teas has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Herbal Teas influence milk supply or can Herbal Teas decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Herbal Teas is 3 out of 8 which is considered Low Risk as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 3 indicates that usage of Herbal Teas may cause some minor side effects in breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research indicates that Herbal Teas may cause moderate to no side effects in lactating mother.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Herbal Teas low risk in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- While using Herbal Teas We suggest monitoring child for possible reactions. It is also important to understand that side effects vary largely based on age of breastfed child and time of medication in addition to dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Infusion prepared from mixtures of various herbs. Refer to the specific info on each plant to get data about their compatibility with breastfeeding. No evidence on effectiveness as galactogogue of any plant has been documented.The most effective way to achieve a galactagogue effect should be a frequent on-demand breastfeeding and a proper technique. Precautions when taking herbal teas:1. Make sure you have got it from a reliable source: poisonings have occurred by confusion with another plant that either has toxic properties, contains heavy metal toxins or food poisoning through contamination with bacteria or fungi.2. Do not take it in large amounts. The "natural" products are not good by themselves: plants contain active substances from which has been obtained much of our traditional pharmacopoeia and can cause poisoning if consumed in huge quantity or prolonged time.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.