I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Cinnamon? Is Cinnamon safe for nursing mother and child? Does Cinnamon extracts into breast milk? Does Cinnamon has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Cinnamon influence milk supply or can Cinnamon decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Cinnamon is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Cinnamon is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Cinnamon does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Cinnamon safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
The bark of tender branches is used. Constituents are Cinnamaldehyde and Eugenol. There are not clinical trials that would had supported any property that may mean a benefit for health, as those traditionally assigned to Cinnamon like spasmolytic, carminative and anti-diarrheal ones. At latest update relevant published data on its excretion into breast milk were not found. Cinnamon is commonly used as spice and flavoring for food and infusions. Out of occasional irritation on skin and mucosa, there is a lack of toxicity and side-effects at the usual dosage. Do not overcome the usual amount used for food preparation.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.