I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Meloxicam? Is Meloxicam safe for nursing mother and child? Does Meloxicam extracts into breast milk? Does Meloxicam has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Meloxicam influence milk supply or can Meloxicam decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Meloxicam is 3 out of 8 which is considered Low Risk as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 3 indicates that usage of Meloxicam may cause some minor side effects in breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research indicates that Meloxicam may cause moderate to no side effects in lactating mother.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Meloxicam low risk in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- While using Meloxicam We suggest monitoring child for possible reactions. It is also important to understand that side effects vary largely based on age of breastfed child and time of medication in addition to dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
At latest update, relevant information on excretion into breast milk was not found. Due to a high serum-protein-binding capacity, excretion into breast milk seems to be unlikely. Until more information on this drug is available, another know therapeutic alternative should be preferred, especially in cases of breastfeeding an infant younger than one month or prematures.
Because no information is available on the use of meloxicam during breastfeeding, other agents may be preferred, especially while nursing a newborn or preterm infant.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.