I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Thyme? Is Thyme safe for nursing mother and child? Does Thyme extracts into breast milk? Does Thyme has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Thyme influence milk supply or can Thyme decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Thyme is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Thyme is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Thyme does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Thyme safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
On latest update no relevant data related to breastfeeding were found. A widely used herb as condiment in food preparation and as infusion tea. Because a lack of toxicity when used at appropriate dose, infrequent or moderate use may be compatible while breastfeeding. Shrub. Florid summits are used. Contains essential oil, (Thymol, Carvone) flavonoids, tannins, terpenes, Phytoestrogens and Phytogestagens. Essential oil is irritant. Although Phytoestrogens are present in low amount, it is known that Estrogens can decrease milk production. Unproven effects: expectorant, anti-spasmodic. (Not clinically tested) Indications by European Medicines Agency (EMA) and Commission E of German Ministry of Health: dry cough, bronchitis.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.