I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Tarragon? Is Tarragon safe for nursing mother and child? Does Tarragon extracts into breast milk? Does Tarragon has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Tarragon influence milk supply or can Tarragon decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Tarragon is 5 out of 8 which is considered Unsafe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 5 indicates that usage of Tarragon may cause serious side effects in breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research indicates that Tarragon may cause moderate to high side effects or may affect milk supply in lactating mother.
- Our suggestion is to use safer alternate options rather than using Tarragon .
- It is recommended to evaluate the advantage of not breastfeeding while using Tarragon Vs not using Tarragon And continue breastfeeding.
- While using Tarragon Its must to monitor child for possible reactions. It is also important to understand that side effects vary largely based on age of breastfed child and time of medication in addition to dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
The leaves of the plant are used. Traditionally used as an antispasmodic, antiseptic, digestive and diuretic. It contains 0.5-1% essential oil formed by ESTRAGOLE (Fraternale 2015), with genotoxic and cytotoxic effects (Ding 2015, Andrade 2015), METHYEUGENOL, with cytotoxic effect (Herrmann 2014, Groh 2016) and LIMONENE, with hepatotoxic effect ( Zárybnický 2017). For this reason, the essential oil should not be used at all systemically (Kalantari 2013). Do not use tarragon infusions or essential oil while breastfeeding. Tarragon is used in many western cuisines as a flavouring agent and does not produce toxicity when consumed at culinary doses. Tarragon, when used in cooking is therefore compatible with breastfeeding.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.