I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Methenamine? Is Methenamine safe for nursing mother and child? Does Methenamine extracts into breast milk? Does Methenamine has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Methenamine influence milk supply or can Methenamine decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Methenamine is 5 out of 8 which is considered Unsafe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 5 indicates that usage of Methenamine may cause serious side effects in breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research indicates that Methenamine may cause moderate to high side effects or may affect milk supply in lactating mother.
- Our suggestion is to use safer alternate options rather than using Methenamine .
- It is recommended to evaluate the advantage of not breastfeeding while using Methenamine Vs not using Methenamine And continue breastfeeding.
- While using Methenamine Its must to monitor child for possible reactions. It is also important to understand that side effects vary largely based on age of breastfed child and time of medication in addition to dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
We are working on a comment for this product.
Both the hippurate and mandelate salts of methenamine pass into milk in small quantities and appear acceptable to use, even while nursing a newborn.
Four newborn infants were allowed to breastfeed in one study after a maternal dose of 1 gram of methenamine hippurate. No adverse effects were reported.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.