I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Methicillin? Is Methicillin safe for nursing mother and child? Does Methicillin extracts into breast milk? Does Methicillin has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Methicillin influence milk supply or can Methicillin decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Methicillin is 3 out of 8 which is considered Low Risk as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 3 indicates that usage of Methicillin may cause some minor side effects in breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research indicates that Methicillin may cause moderate to no side effects in lactating mother.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Methicillin low risk in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- While using Methicillin We suggest monitoring child for possible reactions. It is also important to understand that side effects vary largely based on age of breastfed child and time of medication in addition to dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Not commercially available in SpainBe aware of the possibility of false negative results of bacterial cultures when the mother is on antibiotics.
Amounts of methicillin ingested by the infant in breastmilk are small and would not be expected to cause any adverse effects. Occasionally disruption of the infant's gastrointestinal flora, resulting in diarrhea or thrush have been reported with penicillins, but these effects have not been adequately evaluated. Methicillin is acceptable in nursing mothers.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.