I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Ampicillin-Sulbactan? Is Ampicillin-Sulbactan safe for nursing mother and child? Does Ampicillin-Sulbactan extracts into breast milk? Does Ampicillin-Sulbactan has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Ampicillin-Sulbactan influence milk supply or can Ampicillin-Sulbactan decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Ampicillin-Sulbactan is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Ampicillin-Sulbactan is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Ampicillin-Sulbactan does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Ampicillin-Sulbactan safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Both ampicillin and sulbactam are excreted in breast milk in insignificant amounts (Campbell AC 1991, Matheson I 1988, Nau H 1987, Foulds G 1985, Matsuda S 1985) and no side effects have been observed in infants whose mothers were taking it ( AAP 2001). Follow-up for appearance of diarrhea since alteration of intestinal flora can occur (Chin KG 2000). The possible negativity of cultures in febrile infants whose mothers take antibiotics should be taken into account, as well as the possibility of gastroenteritis due to altered intestinal flora (Benyamini 2005, Ito 1993, Kafetzis 1981).
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.