I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Ascorbic Acid? Is Ascorbic Acid safe for nursing mother and child? Does Ascorbic Acid extracts into breast milk? Does Ascorbic Acid has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Ascorbic Acid influence milk supply or can Ascorbic Acid decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Ascorbic Acid is 3 out of 8 which is considered Low Risk as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 3 indicates that usage of Ascorbic Acid may cause some minor side effects in breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research indicates that Ascorbic Acid may cause moderate to no side effects in lactating mother.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Ascorbic Acid low risk in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- While using Ascorbic Acid We suggest monitoring child for possible reactions. It is also important to understand that side effects vary largely based on age of breastfed child and time of medication in addition to dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Vitamin C is abundantly present in food. A balanced and comprehensive diet makes vitamin supplementation useless. Any amount of vitamin C taken by the mother as a supplement does not affect significantly the concentration in breast milk of women who are on a varied and balanced diet.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.