I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Vitamin B6? Is Vitamin B6 safe for nursing mother and child? Does Vitamin B6 extracts into breast milk? Does Vitamin B6 has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Vitamin B6 influence milk supply or can Vitamin B6 decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Vitamin B6 is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Vitamin B6 is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Vitamin B6 does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Vitamin B6 safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Concentration of vitamin B6 in the breast milk is directly related to the amount present in diet with the possibility of a high increment by an excessive consumption through the diet. Daily allowance of vitamin B6 ranges from 2 to 3 mg. A balanced and varied diet is enough without a need for extra supplementation with this vitamin. Vitamin B6 deficiency is extremely rare since it is widely distributed in many foods. In those cases where supplementation is required, it is recommended not to exceed 40 mg a-day. There are controversial data on the capacity of a high dose of Pyridoxine to inhibit the secretion of Prolactin and suppress the milk production. The American Academy of Pediatrics rates it as usually compatible with breastfeeding.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.