I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Glycyrrhizin? Is Glycyrrhizin safe for nursing mother and child? Does Glycyrrhizin extracts into breast milk? Does Glycyrrhizin has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Glycyrrhizin influence milk supply or can Glycyrrhizin decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Glycyrrhizin is 5 out of 8 which is considered Unsafe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 5 indicates that usage of Glycyrrhizin may cause serious side effects in breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research indicates that Glycyrrhizin may cause moderate to high side effects or may affect milk supply in lactating mother.
- Our suggestion is to use safer alternate options rather than using Glycyrrhizin .
- It is recommended to evaluate the advantage of not breastfeeding while using Glycyrrhizin Vs not using Glycyrrhizin And continue breastfeeding.
- While using Glycyrrhizin Its must to monitor child for possible reactions. It is also important to understand that side effects vary largely based on age of breastfed child and time of medication in addition to dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Root of leguminous herb is used. Content: essential oil, flavonoids, tannins, saponins, hydroxi-coumarins.... Unproven effects: anti-ulcerative and expectorant. Indication after Commission E of German Ministry of Health: gastritis, gastric ulcer, cough, bronchitis. Because of mineralocorticoid effects, Pseudoaldosteronism, Hypokalemic palsy, Hypernatremia, Edema, Heart arrhythmias and Arterial Hypertension, a longstanding use or abuse of licorice may be a cause of severe health disorders. May be a cause of abortion and premature labor if taken while pregnancy. Since it has anti-prolactin and estrogenic effects, decrease of milk production can occur within the first weeks after birth. Reportedly, one case of hyperprolactinemia has occurred. There is no proof on its galactagogue effect. Glycyrrhizin is responsible of many effects of Licorice which is excreted in small amount into breast milk. Two infants younger than one months were severely intoxicated (lethargy) after their mothers had drunk an daily average of 2 liters of a beverage containing a mixture of Licorice, Fennel, Anise and Goat's rue. It was assumed to be related to anethol contained in the fennel and anise.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.