I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Mefloquine? Is Mefloquine safe for nursing mother and child? Does Mefloquine extracts into breast milk? Does Mefloquine has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Mefloquine influence milk supply or can Mefloquine decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Mefloquine is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Mefloquine is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Mefloquine does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Mefloquine safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Minimally secreted into breast milk Not commercially available in Spain
Very small amounts of mefloquine are excreted in breastmilk; the amount of drug is not sufficient to harm the infant nor is the quantity sufficient to protect the child from malaria. Breastfeeding infants should receive the recommended dosages of mefloquine.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.