I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Aniseed? Is Aniseed safe for nursing mother and child? Does Aniseed extracts into breast milk? Does Aniseed has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Aniseed influence milk supply or can Aniseed decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Aniseed is 3 out of 8 which is considered Low Risk as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 3 indicates that usage of Aniseed may cause some minor side effects in breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research indicates that Aniseed may cause moderate to no side effects in lactating mother.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Aniseed low risk in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- While using Aniseed We suggest monitoring child for possible reactions. It is also important to understand that side effects vary largely based on age of breastfed child and time of medication in addition to dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Plant widely used as a condiment and infusion in many cultures. It has been used even for pain relief during pregnancy and colicky pain in fussy babies (without proved data on this). Since it is non toxic at appropriate dose, a moderate and occasional consumption is believed to be compatible while breastfeeding. Fruits of this herb are used. Essential oil is composed basically by trans-anethol and Estragol with a mild estrogenic effect. High dose of trans-anethol may decrease milk production and induce neurotoxicity along with development of seizures and coma. Estragol may be carcinogenic. Based on this, the European Medicines Agency (EMA) has disapproved it for children younger than 12 years old. Reportedly, two young infants were severely intoxicated after ingestion by the mother, as galactagogue, of two daily liters of a mix infusion with Licorice, Fennel, Anise and Galega officinalis (gout's rue), Symptoms were attributed to Anethol from both Fennel and Anise. Properties attributed but unproven are: anti-spasmodic, carminative and expectorant. It has not been shown to improve milk production. The best method of milk production improvement should be mother's self-esteem reinforcement, frequent on-demand breastfeeding, appropriate breastfeeding technique and effective support to mothers willing to breastfeed their infants.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.