I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Irish Moss? Is Irish Moss safe for nursing mother and child? Does Irish Moss extracts into breast milk? Does Irish Moss has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Irish Moss influence milk supply or can Irish Moss decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Irish Moss is 3 out of 8 which is considered Low Risk as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 3 indicates that usage of Irish Moss may cause some minor side effects in breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research indicates that Irish Moss may cause moderate to no side effects in lactating mother.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Irish Moss low risk in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- While using Irish Moss We suggest monitoring child for possible reactions. It is also important to understand that side effects vary largely based on age of breastfed child and time of medication in addition to dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
This is a moss that contains a lot of mucilage, carrageenin (Galactose polymers), much Iodine and some Arsenic. The Commission E of the German Ministry of Health has not approved any medical indication of this plant. Traditionally used as a laxative drug. It is also used to make fluids thicker or jelly-like in the food and cosmetic industry. We have to take into account its content of iodine in order to achieve WHO’s recommendations on Iodine supplementation.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.