I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Pantoprazole? Is Pantoprazole safe for nursing mother and child? Does Pantoprazole extracts into breast milk? Does Pantoprazole has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Pantoprazole influence milk supply or can Pantoprazole decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Pantoprazole is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Pantoprazole is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Pantoprazole does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Pantoprazole safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Due to a high serum-protein-binding capacity, excretion into breast milk is non-significant without side-effects among breastfed infants from treated mothers. Since it's neutralized by the acid pH of stomach, capsules with enteric coated granules are used. Because of this, it is thought that the small quantity of Pantoprazole that may reach the breast milk would be neutralized by infant's stomach. In addition, absorption is greatly decreased by the presence of food. No effect on Prolactin secretion has been observed. Other formulations of Pantoprazole without anti-acid protection are destroyed in the stomach.
Maternal pantoprazole doses of 40 mg daily produce low levels in milk and would not be expected to cause any adverse effects in breastfed infants.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.