I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Loperamide? Is Loperamide safe for nursing mother and child? Does Loperamide extracts into breast milk? Does Loperamide has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Loperamide influence milk supply or can Loperamide decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Loperamide is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Loperamide is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Loperamide does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Loperamide safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Opioid drug derived from pethidine. Contraindicated for those children younger than 2 year old. Indiscriminate use for treatment of gastroenteritis is not justified. Most acute diarrheic disorders are self-limijted conditions. WHO’s Oral Rehydration Solutions and appropriate nutritional support are recommended. Excreted into breast milk in non-significant levels. Its low oral bioavailability makes it difficult to acceed the infant serum. The American Academy of Pediatrics rates it as compatible with breastfeeding.
Use of loperamide during breastfeeding is unlikely to affect the infant.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.