I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Cefadroxil? Is Cefadroxil safe for nursing mother and child? Does Cefadroxil extracts into breast milk? Does Cefadroxil has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Cefadroxil influence milk supply or can Cefadroxil decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Cefadroxil is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Cefadroxil is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Cefadroxil does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Cefadroxil safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
It is a First generation Cephalosporin. Like other Cephalosporins, Cefadroxil is excreted into the breast milk in clinically non-significant amounts. Be aware of the possibility of negative results of cultures done to febrile infants whose mothers are on antibiotics. The American Academy of Pediatrics rates it as usually compatible with breastfeeding.
Limited information indicates that cefadroxil produces low levels in milk that are not expected to cause adverse effects in breastfed infants. Occasionally disruption of the infant's gastrointestinal flora, resulting in diarrhea or thrush have been reported with cephalosporins, but these effects have not been adequately evaluated. Cefadroxil is acceptable in nursing mothers.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.