I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Sulfisoxazole? Is Sulfisoxazole safe for nursing mother and child? Does Sulfisoxazole extracts into breast milk? Does Sulfisoxazole has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Sulfisoxazole influence milk supply or can Sulfisoxazole decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Sulfisoxazole is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Sulfisoxazole is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Sulfisoxazole does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Sulfisoxazole safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Be cautious with those neonates suffering of hyperbilirrubinemia or G-6-P-D deficiency. Not commercially available in SpainBe aware of the possibility of false negative results of bacterial cultures when the mother is on antibiotics.
With healthy, fullterm infants it appears acceptable to use sulfisoxazole during breastfeeding after the newborn period. Until further data are accumulated, alternate agents should probably be used in jaundiced, ill, stressed or premature infants, because of the risk of bilirubin displacement and kernicterus. Sulfisoxazole should be avoided while breastfeeding a glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficient infant.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.