I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Fosfomycin? Is Fosfomycin safe for nursing mother and child? Does Fosfomycin extracts into breast milk? Does Fosfomycin has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Fosfomycin influence milk supply or can Fosfomycin decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Fosfomycin is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Fosfomycin is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Fosfomycin does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Fosfomycin safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Excretion into breast milk is not significant and no side effects on breastfed infants of treated mothers have been shown. Approved for use as treatment on infants younger than a one year old. A low oral bioavailability would protect the infant, except in the neonatal period or cases of prematurity. Calcium contained in the milk prevents it from absorption by the gut. Be aware of the possibility of false negative results of bacterial cultures on febrile infants when the mother is on antibiotics.
Limited information indicates that fosfomycin produces low levels in milk and would not be expected to cause any adverse effects in breastfed infants, especially if the infant is older than 2 months.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.