I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Sucralfate? Is Sucralfate safe for nursing mother and child? Does Sucralfate extracts into breast milk? Does Sucralfate has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Sucralfate influence milk supply or can Sucralfate decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Sucralfate is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Sucralfate is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Sucralfate does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Sucralfate safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
It is a glycoside-sulphate derivative (sucrose) plus aluminum.
At latest update no published data on excretion into breastmilk were found.
Pharmacokinetic data (virtually non-absorbed with a high molecular weight) make it very unlikely the excretion into breastmilk in significant amounts, which in addition it would not be absorbed through the infant's intestine.
Medication with authorized use on infants.
No data are available on sucralfate use during breastfeeding; however, it is virtually unabsorbed orally. Most authorities consider sucralfate acceptable to use during breastfeeding. No special precautions are required.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.