I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Praziquantel? Is Praziquantel safe for nursing mother and child? Does Praziquantel extracts into breast milk? Does Praziquantel has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Praziquantel influence milk supply or can Praziquantel decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Praziquantel is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Praziquantel is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Praziquantel does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Praziquantel safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Considered to be safe because of a short half-life span and low serum concentration. Not commercially available in Spain
Because of the minute levels of praziquantel in breastmilk, amounts ingested by the infant are small and would not be expected to cause any adverse effects in breastfed infants. Expert opinion holds that lactation should not be a contraindication to maternal treatment with praziquantel. To minimize infant exposure, a single dose can be taken just before the infant's longest sleep period or an alternate method of feeding (e.g., stored milk) can be used for 24 to 36 hours after a single dose or the last of a series of doses.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.