I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Permethrin? Is Permethrin safe for nursing mother and child? Does Permethrin extracts into breast milk? Does Permethrin has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Permethrin influence milk supply or can Permethrin decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Permethrin is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Permethrin is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Permethrin does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Permethrin safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Topical pyrethroid pesticide that shows activity against louses, mites and scabies.About 2% of the dose is absorbed through the skin.Do not apply it on the breast, otherwise, clean it thoroughly before feeding at the breast. Permethrin is considered the treatment of choice for scabies in nursing mothers. Permethrin is found in milk samples from women in regions in which it is used massively for agricultural purposes or malaria control. Notwithstanding, limits were found to be below those permitted by the WHO. WHO List of Essential Medicines 2002 states it is compatible with breastfeeding.
Because less than 2% is absorbed after topical application, rapid metabolism to inactive metabolites and safe application directly on infants' skin, topical permethrin products are acceptable in nursing mothers. Extensive exposure, such as from agricultural use or malaria control might have long-term health concerns because residues can be found in breastmilk. Only water-miscible cream, gel or liquid products should be applied to the breast because ointments may expose the infant to high levels of mineral paraffins via licking.
In a telephone follow-up study, 5 mothers who used permethrin during breastfeeding reported no adverse reactions in their breastfed infants.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.