I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Albendazole? Is Albendazole safe for nursing mother and child? Does Albendazole extracts into breast milk? Does Albendazole has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Albendazole influence milk supply or can Albendazole decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Albendazole is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Albendazole is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Albendazole does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Albendazole safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Because a poor oral absorption it is likely a minimal excretion into breast milk.
Albendazole and its active metabolite are minimally excreted into breastmilk. An informal consultation group to the World Health Organization concluded that a single oral dose of albendazole can be given to lactating women.
Two mothers with intestinal parasites were given a single 400 mg oral dose of albendazole while exclusively breastfeeding their infants who were between 1 and 6 months of age. No mention was made of adverse reactions in the breastfed infants.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.