I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Ceftazidime? Is Ceftazidime safe for nursing mother and child? Does Ceftazidime extracts into breast milk? Does Ceftazidime has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Ceftazidime influence milk supply or can Ceftazidime decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Ceftazidime is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Ceftazidime is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Ceftazidime does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Ceftazidime safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Tiny amount of Cephalosporin is excreted into human milk. Be aware of false negative bacterial cultures in the infant when the mother is on antibiotics. American Academy of Pediatrics: Maternal Medication Usually Compatible With Breastfeeding.Eleventh WHO Model List of Essential Drugs 2002: Compatible with breastfeeding.
Limited information indicates that ceftazidime produces low levels in milk that are not expected to cause adverse effects in breastfed infants. Occasionally disruption of the infant's gastrointestinal flora, resulting in diarrhea or thrush have been reported with cephalosporins, but these effects have not been adequately evaluated. Ceftazidime and is acceptable in nursing mothers.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.