I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Ceftibuten? Is Ceftibuten safe for nursing mother and child? Does Ceftibuten extracts into breast milk? Does Ceftibuten has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Ceftibuten influence milk supply or can Ceftibuten decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Ceftibuten is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Ceftibuten is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Ceftibuten does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Ceftibuten safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Third-generation cephalosporin for oral administration. Like most cephalosporins for which data are available, excretion occurs in breast milk in very small amount and it is clinically insignificant (Barr 1991). Cephalosporins are widely used in the Pediatric practice with a good tolerance, even in the neonatal period, so it is very unlikely that in small amounts through milk would be a cause of problems in the infant. Be aware of the possibility of false negative results of cultures in febrile infants whose mothers are taking antibiotics as well as the possibility of gastroenteritis (Ito 1993) by altering the intestinal flora.
Limited information indicates that ceftibuten produces low levels in milk that are not expected to cause adverse effects in breastfed infants. Occasionally disruption of the infant's gastrointestinal flora, resulting in diarrhea or thrush have been reported with cephalosporins, but these effects have not been adequately evaluated. Ceftibuten is acceptable in nursing mothers.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.