I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Misoprostol? Is Misoprostol safe for nursing mother and child? Does Misoprostol extracts into breast milk? Does Misoprostol has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Misoprostol influence milk supply or can Misoprostol decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Misoprostol is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Misoprostol is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Misoprostol does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Misoprostol safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Prostaglandin E1 analogue that is used in the prevention of gastroduodenal ulcers associated with the use of NSAIDs and induction of labor and abortion provocation. It is found naturally in milk and colostrum. It is excreted in breast milk in clinically non-significant amount with a very short half-life span. Follow-up for intestinal colic or diarrhea in the infant.
Mispoprostol is a prostaglandin E1 analogue. Prostaglandin E1 and other prostaglandins appear normally in colostrum and milk. Because of the extremely low levels of misoprostol in breastmilk, amounts ingested by the infant are trivial and would not be expected to cause any adverse effects in breastfed infants. No special precautions are required.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.