I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Celecoxib? Is Celecoxib safe for nursing mother and child? Does Celecoxib extracts into breast milk? Does Celecoxib has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Celecoxib influence milk supply or can Celecoxib decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Celecoxib is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Celecoxib is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Celecoxib does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Celecoxib safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Indicated for treatment of Arthritis, Arthrosis and Gout. Acts by blocking cyclooxygenase enzyme (COX-2) The amount of drug excreted into breast milk is so low that even trace amounts have not been found in blood sera of breastfed infant from treated mothers.
Because of the low levels of celecoxib in breastmilk, amounts ingested by the infant are small and would not be expected to cause any adverse effects in breastfed infants. No special precautions are required.
No infant side effects were noted by the mothers of 2 infants aged 17 and 22 months who were breastfed during long-term maternal use of celecoxib 200 mg daily.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.