I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Oseltamivir? Is Oseltamivir safe for nursing mother and child? Does Oseltamivir extracts into breast milk? Does Oseltamivir has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Oseltamivir influence milk supply or can Oseltamivir decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Oseltamivir is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Oseltamivir is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Oseltamivir does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Oseltamivir safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Prophylaxis and treament of Influenza virus disease. Excreted in non-significant levels into breast milk. No adverse effects have been shown in breastfed infants.
Limited data indicate that oseltamivir and its active metabolite are poorly excreted into breastmilk. Maternal dosages of 150 mg daily produce low levels in milk and would not be expected to cause any adverse effects in breastfed infants, especially if the infant is older than 2 months. Infants over 1 year of age can receive oseltamivir directly in doses much larger than those in breastmilk.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.