I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Ketotifen? Is Ketotifen safe for nursing mother and child? Does Ketotifen extracts into breast milk? Does Ketotifen has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Ketotifen influence milk supply or can Ketotifen decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Ketotifen is 3 out of 8 which is considered Low Risk as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 3 indicates that usage of Ketotifen may cause some minor side effects in breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research indicates that Ketotifen may cause moderate to no side effects in lactating mother.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Ketotifen low risk in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- While using Ketotifen We suggest monitoring child for possible reactions. It is also important to understand that side effects vary largely based on age of breastfed child and time of medication in addition to dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
1st-generation-antihistamine and piperidine-type drug with a minimal sedative effect.Indicated on prophylaxis of asthma, rhinitis (oral administration) and conjunctivitis (administrated as eye drops). At latest update relevant published data on excretion into breast milk were not found.Pharmacokinetic data (large volume of distribution and moderately high molecular weight) make it unlikely that significant amounts of milk would pass through breastmilk.Plasma levels following ophthalmic administration are undetectable (AEMPS 2011).It is a medicine authorized for use in infants from 6 months of age on.It does not influence prolactin levels (Dolecek 1984). Until more published data on this drug related to breastfeeding is available, a safer and known alternative should be preferred during the neonatal period and in case of prematurity.Ophthalmic administration is safe while breastfeeding.
Because absorption from the eye is limited, ketotifen would not be expected to cause any adverse effects in breastfed infants after maternal use of ketotifen eye drops. To substantially diminish the amount of drug that reaches the breastmilk after using eye drops, place pressure over the tear duct by the corner of the eye for 1 minute or more, then remove the excess solution with an absorbent tissue.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.