I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Cloxacillin? Is Cloxacillin safe for nursing mother and child? Does Cloxacillin extracts into breast milk? Does Cloxacillin has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Cloxacillin influence milk supply or can Cloxacillin decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Cloxacillin is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Cloxacillin is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Cloxacillin does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Cloxacillin safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Like most penicillin-type antibiotics, excretion into breast milk is clinically non-significant. No harmful effects have been found among breastfed infants from treated mothers. Widely used for treatment of Mastitis since it has an effective activity against Staphylococcus. Be aware of false negative results of microbial cultures done from samples of febrile infants whose mothers are treated with antibiotics. Also, due to imbalance of intestinal flora a diarrheal disease can occur in the breastfed infant. List of Essential Medicines by WHO 2002: compatible with breastfeeding.
Limited information indicates that cloxacillin produces low levels in milk that are not expected to cause adverse effects in breastfed infants. Occasionally disruption of the infant's gastrointestinal flora, resulting in diarrhea or thrush have been reported with penicillins, but these effects have not been adequately evaluated. Cloxacillin is acceptable in nursing mothers.
In a telephone follow-up study, 10 nursing mothers reported taking cloxacillin (dosage unspecified). Two mothers reported diarrhea in their infants. No rashes or candidiasis were reported among the exposed infants.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.