I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Linezolid? Is Linezolid safe for nursing mother and child? Does Linezolid extracts into breast milk? Does Linezolid has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Linezolid influence milk supply or can Linezolid decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Linezolid is 3 out of 8 which is considered Low Risk as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 3 indicates that usage of Linezolid may cause some minor side effects in breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research indicates that Linezolid may cause moderate to no side effects in lactating mother.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Linezolid low risk in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- While using Linezolid We suggest monitoring child for possible reactions. It is also important to understand that side effects vary largely based on age of breastfed child and time of medication in addition to dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Be aware of the possibility of false negative results of bacterial cultures when the mother is on antibiotics.
Linezolid is excreted into breastmilk in concentration likely to be effective against staphylococcal strains found in mastitis. Limited data indicate that the maximum dose an infant would receive through breastmilk would be much less than the standard infant dose and that resulting infant serum levels are trivial. If linezolid is required by the mother, it is not a reason to discontinue breastfeeding. Monitor the infant for possible effects on the gastrointestinal tract, such as diarrhea, vomiting, and candidiasis (e.g., thrush, diaper rash). However, because there is no published experience with linezolid during breastfeeding, an alternate drug may be preferred, especially while nursing a newborn or preterm infant.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.