I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Pyrantel? Is Pyrantel safe for nursing mother and child? Does Pyrantel extracts into breast milk? Does Pyrantel has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Pyrantel influence milk supply or can Pyrantel decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Pyrantel is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Pyrantel is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Pyrantel does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Pyrantel safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Anthelmintic drug which is effective against intestinal nematodes (Ascaris lumbricoides, Enterobius vermiculaires, -pinworms-, Trichostrongylus spp, Ancylostoma or Necator -hookworms) and tissue nematodes. At latest update relevant published data were not found on excretion into breast milk. It is poorly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract, reaching very low plasma concentrations (<0.04 micrograms / mL: Fasanmade 1994) and usually given on a single dose, so it will hardly reach a significant concentrations in breastmilk.Given its minimum absorption, it has been authorized to be used in young infants. WHO List of Essential Medicines 2002: compatible with breastfeeding.
No information is available on the use of pyrantel pamoate during breastfeeding. It is poorly absorbed orally, so excretion into breastmilk and absorption by the breastfed infant is unlikely.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.