I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Ac. mefenamico? Is Ac. mefenamico safe for nursing mother and child? Does Ac. mefenamico extracts into breast milk? Does Ac. mefenamico has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Ac. mefenamico influence milk supply or can Ac. mefenamico decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Ac. mefenamico is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Ac. mefenamico is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Ac. mefenamico does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Ac. mefenamico safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Excretion into breast milk is non-significant without side-effects reported in breastfed infants from treated mothers. It was not found, or, only in very low levels neither in the plasma nor the urine of those infants. Because of a paucity of published reports on it, it is recommended the use of alternative medication in the neonatal period or in case of prematurity. The American Academy of Pediatrics (2012) rates it as a maternal medication that is usually compatible with breastfeeding.
If Ac. mefenamico is required by the mother, it is not a reason to discontinue breastfeeding. Because there is little published experience with Ac. mefenamico during breastfeeding and it is potentially toxic, other agents may be preferred, especially while nursing a newborn or preterm infant.
Ten newborns were breastfed for 4 days during maternal intake of Ac. mefenamico. No mention was made of infant side effects or lack thereof.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.