I am a breastfeeding mother and i want to know if it is safe to use Sodium Picosulfate? Is Sodium Picosulfate safe for nursing mother and child? Does Sodium Picosulfate extracts into breast milk? Does Sodium Picosulfate has any long term or short term side effects on infants? Can Sodium Picosulfate influence milk supply or can Sodium Picosulfate decrease milk supply in lactating mothers?
- DrLact safety Score for Sodium Picosulfate is 1 out of 8 which is considered Safe as per our analyses.
- A safety Score of 1 indicates that usage of Sodium Picosulfate is mostly safe during lactation for breastfed baby.
- Our study of different scientific research also indicates that Sodium Picosulfate does not cause any serious side effects in breastfeeding mothers.
- Most of scientific studies and research papers declaring usage of Sodium Picosulfate safe in breastfeeding are based on normal dosage and may not hold true for higher dosage.
- Score calculated using the DrLact safety Version 1.2 model, this score ranges from 0 to 8 and measures overall safety of drug in lactation. Scores are primarily calculated using publicly available case studies, research papers, other scientific journals and publically available data.
Stimulant of the intestine and laxative drug through irritation of mucosa which is similar to bisacodyl. Its low oral bioavailability with minimal intestinal absorption causes plasma levels to be very low, that explains the observed failure of excretion into breast milk (undetectable levels).Authorized for use in infants from age one month old. To prevent or treat constipation is essential to have a balanced and fiber-rich diet, with a lot of fluids and exercise.
Sodium picosulfate is not absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract, and its active metabolite, which is absorbed, is not detectable in breastmilk. Sodium picosulfate can be taken during breastfeeding and no special precautions are required.
: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. We do not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.